Fractal Geometry

Since my Professor introduced me to this relatively new branch of mathematics, known as ‘Fractal geometry’; I am fascinated by it as it very well explains the beauty behind the repeating patterns, I always found enchanting. Superficially, one can recognize fractals as beautiful patterns and images seen on computer wallpapers, snowflakes or in arts or maybe if you observe carefully in many things around us. Benoit Mandelbrot (in 1980) was the first mathematician to coin the term ‘fractals’ and present the mathematics behind the fractals.

To brush up the memory, I have uploaded few images, and I am sure everybody must have observed these images all around in their life.












On observing carefully the shapes of snowflakes, clouds, mountain ranges; one can recognize self-similar shapes that seem to repeat again and again; hence mathematically fractals are thought to be infinitely complex.

The following series of videos very interestingly explains the phenomenon and intriguing geometry of fractals.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Math Talk

Project-Based Learning

Technology in Math Education